- Describe the Coverage data format
- Describe the Shapefile data format
- Describe the Geodatabase data format
- Describe the CAD data format
- Compare and conrast each of the above data formats
- List several other data formats used for storing geographic information
- Describe the raster data model
- Describe the vector data model
- Define data format
- feature class
- feature dataset
- stored / shared topology
- coincident features
READING ASSIGNMENTModeling Our World - Chapter 4 and the ESRI support pages below
From the ESRI support pages:
- What is a Coverage?
- Learn more about shapefiles
- Working with CAD data in ArcGIS
- Data formats supported in ArcGIS
- GIS Layer Field Names and Standard Fields
ACTIVE LEARNING EXERCISE
The data for this exercise can be found on the server: H:\GIS\GIS_classes\GIS215\SpatialDataFormats
Copy it to your flash drive to complete this exercise.
- List 4 disadvantages of the CAD data format
- What is a geo-relational data model?
- What are 3 disadvantages to the ArcInfo Coverage?
- Describe the shapefile
- How many files must be present for a shapefile to be considered whole?
- What are 3 disadvantages to the shapefile?
- Describe the geodatabase in 1 sentence.
- List the geodatabase types.
- What type of information is modeled well using raster data?
- What type of information is modeled well using vector data?
HOMEWORK ... YES HOMEWORK